Deming Fire Department Chief Edgar Davalos said the owner reported using some type of burner equipment for approximately six hours in the shed for his rock hobby Wednesday, but remembered turning the burner off before leaving the shed.
Davalos said the burner is suspected as the cause of the blaze, which erupted at about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday and quickly engulfed the shed.
PNM officials were contacted to cut off power to the live wires which were popping as the fire roared.
Davalos said the fire was able to be contained to the shed, with only scorching damage to the outside of the nearby mobile home.
The Deming Fire Department responded with two engines and seven firefighters to the blaze, which was just outside the Deming city limits.Sunshine Volunteer Fire Department personnel also